Mom's Weekend
Mom had a very very bad weekend and we were preparing for the worst. She has taken another turn though (even though it will probably only be a short turn) and is doing a bit better.
Each day I talked to Mom she sounded worse from Friday to Saturday to Sunday. More incoherent, she wasn't eating much and what she was eating she had to be spoon fed, and she wasn't drinking much. She would say something that made sense and then follow it up with something that didn't connect in any way to what she had just previously said.
Today, she is doing better. She isn't totally able to put her thoughts together but is more alert and cheerful and makes a bit of sense, at least.
The nurse came for a visit today and will come back again on Friday. She did have some fluid in her lungs and her blood oxygen level was down to 85%. When the nurse put the oxygen tube on Mom, her level went up to 93% very quickly. The nurse wants her to have the oxygen on while she is sleeping, if she can stand it.
You Blue Bell friends have no idea what joy that brought her. Even though she isn't eating much lately and she still has some left, it really was such a clever idea. She has talked about it to everyone. While I was in Palm Springs this weekend visiting with my husband's family, I mentioned the ice cream delivery. They had lived in Texas and were so jealous! Anyone who has lived in Texas knows what a treat it is. Thank you for thinking of it and for being so generous.
The nurse changed some of Mom's medications as well - added some and deleted some. She is on a slow release pain pill and then also has the short acting pain pill if she needs it. She also added an antibotic, and a few other medications to help with going to the bathroom.
She did stay in her new hospital bed all weekend long. Getting out of bed to go to the bathroom was a huge chore that took much energy and time and more than one person to help.
She also had the Sacrament brought to her on Sunday, while Mark was with Mom which was nice.
Our support team has been huge. I am so thankful for this. Between Mark and Brent being able to help Mom, we have also had Pauline, Nancy and Celia - who have come at a moment's notice whenever we have needed them. With Paul and I being far away, this is a relief to us.
Lyman is coming to help with Mom's 24 hour care on Friday and I will be back in town on Saturday.
Thank you for continuing to have her in your prayers.
Each day I talked to Mom she sounded worse from Friday to Saturday to Sunday. More incoherent, she wasn't eating much and what she was eating she had to be spoon fed, and she wasn't drinking much. She would say something that made sense and then follow it up with something that didn't connect in any way to what she had just previously said.
Today, she is doing better. She isn't totally able to put her thoughts together but is more alert and cheerful and makes a bit of sense, at least.
The nurse came for a visit today and will come back again on Friday. She did have some fluid in her lungs and her blood oxygen level was down to 85%. When the nurse put the oxygen tube on Mom, her level went up to 93% very quickly. The nurse wants her to have the oxygen on while she is sleeping, if she can stand it.
You Blue Bell friends have no idea what joy that brought her. Even though she isn't eating much lately and she still has some left, it really was such a clever idea. She has talked about it to everyone. While I was in Palm Springs this weekend visiting with my husband's family, I mentioned the ice cream delivery. They had lived in Texas and were so jealous! Anyone who has lived in Texas knows what a treat it is. Thank you for thinking of it and for being so generous.
The nurse changed some of Mom's medications as well - added some and deleted some. She is on a slow release pain pill and then also has the short acting pain pill if she needs it. She also added an antibotic, and a few other medications to help with going to the bathroom.
She did stay in her new hospital bed all weekend long. Getting out of bed to go to the bathroom was a huge chore that took much energy and time and more than one person to help.
She also had the Sacrament brought to her on Sunday, while Mark was with Mom which was nice.
Our support team has been huge. I am so thankful for this. Between Mark and Brent being able to help Mom, we have also had Pauline, Nancy and Celia - who have come at a moment's notice whenever we have needed them. With Paul and I being far away, this is a relief to us.
Lyman is coming to help with Mom's 24 hour care on Friday and I will be back in town on Saturday.
Thank you for continuing to have her in your prayers.

2 Comments:
At 9:12 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Ruth Ann,
You are a priceless person and are in my prayers daily.
I'll bet you're hanging in there just the way you always do, cheering everybody else. But don't forget to settle back each day and get some of that TLC you like to give away. It's your turn now.
Sometimes the healing process takes longer than we expect.
While you're recovering, may each day bring you the light of new hope, renewed strength, and the comfort of knowing how much you're cared about.
Tonight I'm praying you'll be able to relax and feel all the love, comfort, and strength within you and around you.
Love, Bill
At 9:16 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I love you, Ruth Ann! I just wanted you to know that this morning. I am sorry you had such a bad weekend, and hope that this week is soooo much better for you.
Take Bill's advice, relax and enjoy all the TLC coming your way. There are many of us not as near, by way of the map, that wish we were there to give you some of that TLC.
Love you,
Jeannie Juergens
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home