My Mom - Ruth Ann Jespersen

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Coughing Fits

Mom has had a really bad cough. I talked to her yesterday and it sounded bad. When I talked with Nancy this morning, she mentioned it as well. Nancy was going to put a call into the Hospice nurse to see if she can help. Nancy also had Mom hooked up to her oxygen and had the humidifier going next to her bed to see if that would help. I didn't talk to Mom - Nancy was expecting a call from Mom's CNA, Charles. He comes 3 times a week to help give Mom a sponge bath and the like.

When I talked to Mom last night, she said "how did you know I was going to be up?" She was really quite loopy. Mark had just finished getting her ready for bed when I called.

Mark spent the day yesterday and last night. Nancy came in early this morning and is spending tonight with Mom. Celia is coming back in on Thursday until Lyman comes. Lyman is going to hang out until I get there Saturday night.
I am in Southern California this week and fly home Friday morning. I will be home for about 24 hours before I leave to go to Salt Lake. Most think I'm nuts to fly all the way home for that short of time - but it is important for me to keep my sanity, spend at least a few hours with my family, and sleep in my own bed.

Mom also has been hallucinating a bit. I'm anxious to hear what her nurse has to say on Friday about how the disease is progressing and how it might be affecting her brain.

Here is a quote from Celia's daily report to the family that I thought was appropriate to share: "Last night after all the bedtime duties were completed she started to cry and said "what would I do without all this love". We had talked about that earlier in the evening and she felt sad for those folks who did not have anyone to care for them."

2 Comments:

  • At 6:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the update Karen. I hope you get one night's sleep in your own bed before having to get back on a plane.

    Uncle Mark and Aunt Kim

     
  • At 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It is so like Ruth Ann, to be concerned about others when she is suffering so! She has been that way for as long as I have known her and I am quite sure that is a part of her character she brought to this earth as a very special daughter of our Heavenly Father.

    Karen, please do take care of yourself. You need some TLC yourself!! You and all of your family are in my daily prayers and I send my love to all of you.


    Please give Ruth Ann my love as well.

    Thanks and love,
    Jeannie Juergens

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home