the past few days
Mom has really enjoyed her Blue Bell Ice Cream. She has finished off the first carton - Cookies n' cream. We took what she hadn't eaten of it and some homemade chocolate chip cookies to Paul's house last night for dinner. That sounds easy and fun right? Let me back up. Mom had eaten almost half of the carton by herself in 3 short days. Mom wanted to take her famous chocolate chip cookies over to their house. She had started to make them earlier in the week. Yesterday, when I went to get the dough out of the fridge to "help her" finish them, I realized that "we" would need to start all over. Mom couldn't remember what ingredients she had put in and what she hadn't. The kitchenaid bowl was in the fridge with saran wrap and two clothes pins to "seal it". Just too much! We had a nice dinner with Paul and his family and played one round of Apples to Apples. Mom was lost the entire game. When we got in the car, she said "that was fun but I never really got what I was supposed to be doing with the game." :)
For breakfast today, she opened the second carton of ice cream - Rocky Road and also had 2 mugs of hot chocolate. I believe that Ms. Mary sent her the hot chocolate -thank you!
Her apartment has the same boxes that were here when I left in the same places. I have talked
her into letting me get them out of the apartment and taking them back to the storage shed.
As she was getting ready this morning for church, she got out of the shower and was really upset. She said "blast it, we are going to be late". I assured her that we had another hour - she was just mixed up.
Mom got a needlework catalog yesterday and found two things that she would like to make but knows that in reality she woudn't be able to. She is quite shakey and hasn't done any handwork, sewing, etc since the first part of December.
She was excited this morning because she sat at her desk, started and completed a project. I had picked up for her 2007 monthly calendar pages for her Franklin planner. She went through and put everyone's birthdays on the pages. She got several mixed up and wrong - but she did it and was so proud of herself for completing a project.
I got her a pillbox yesterday to keep all of her medicines straight. Her hospice nurse has suggested it several times but Mom has told her that she didn't need it. Cheri asked me if I would get it for her. When we went through Mom's medicines, I realized how little medication she really is on. She is not taking any of her sleeping or pain medication. This is something to be grateful for. She is not in pain.
She did tell me this morning that she would like one of those canes that has the four legs at the bottom to help her stand up, when she is on the couch or in one of her chairs. It is very hard for her to "get up". I will talk with her hospice social worker about this tomorrow. I also need to follow up with her about getting Mom's handicap parking sticker - Mom had asked for it back in November but hasn't received it yet.
Mom has so many friends and family loving her and taking care of her. She is reading her emails every few days but not really responding to anyone (so don't take it personally). She continues to get mail everyday and packages or flowers every once in a while. I know that she is lonely in her little apartment but then on the other hand, when friends ask if they can come visit, she often puts them off. There isn't much to be done about it.
She is excited about David and Larry to coming to visit in a week. And then Alice and Louise are both talking about coming out in February. I might take February "off" - we will have to wait and see.
Mom is totally capable of taking care of herself. When I am here, she transitions to a different level. She has me help her with everything - from answering the phone, checking her email, to putting her socks on for her.
Today, she told me that she has slipped in the bathtub a few times! She said it in passing, like it wasn't a big deal! I will talk with hospice about it. I think at the minimum we could get some tub grippers.
Mom has agreed to let Hospice come in and help her with things like clipping her toenails, which has become impossible for her to do and I can't do when I live 1000 miles away. When I suggested yesterday that we let hospice come in and clean once a week - she was mortified. She hates the idea of someone picking up after her. Nancy is back in town, and so I think she will begin to come back up and help in that department.
Pauline invited us over for dinner and Mom said she wants to go.
For breakfast today, she opened the second carton of ice cream - Rocky Road and also had 2 mugs of hot chocolate. I believe that Ms. Mary sent her the hot chocolate -thank you!
Her apartment has the same boxes that were here when I left in the same places. I have talked
her into letting me get them out of the apartment and taking them back to the storage shed.
As she was getting ready this morning for church, she got out of the shower and was really upset. She said "blast it, we are going to be late". I assured her that we had another hour - she was just mixed up.
Mom got a needlework catalog yesterday and found two things that she would like to make but knows that in reality she woudn't be able to. She is quite shakey and hasn't done any handwork, sewing, etc since the first part of December.
She was excited this morning because she sat at her desk, started and completed a project. I had picked up for her 2007 monthly calendar pages for her Franklin planner. She went through and put everyone's birthdays on the pages. She got several mixed up and wrong - but she did it and was so proud of herself for completing a project.
I got her a pillbox yesterday to keep all of her medicines straight. Her hospice nurse has suggested it several times but Mom has told her that she didn't need it. Cheri asked me if I would get it for her. When we went through Mom's medicines, I realized how little medication she really is on. She is not taking any of her sleeping or pain medication. This is something to be grateful for. She is not in pain.
She did tell me this morning that she would like one of those canes that has the four legs at the bottom to help her stand up, when she is on the couch or in one of her chairs. It is very hard for her to "get up". I will talk with her hospice social worker about this tomorrow. I also need to follow up with her about getting Mom's handicap parking sticker - Mom had asked for it back in November but hasn't received it yet.
Mom has so many friends and family loving her and taking care of her. She is reading her emails every few days but not really responding to anyone (so don't take it personally). She continues to get mail everyday and packages or flowers every once in a while. I know that she is lonely in her little apartment but then on the other hand, when friends ask if they can come visit, she often puts them off. There isn't much to be done about it.
She is excited about David and Larry to coming to visit in a week. And then Alice and Louise are both talking about coming out in February. I might take February "off" - we will have to wait and see.
Mom is totally capable of taking care of herself. When I am here, she transitions to a different level. She has me help her with everything - from answering the phone, checking her email, to putting her socks on for her.
Today, she told me that she has slipped in the bathtub a few times! She said it in passing, like it wasn't a big deal! I will talk with hospice about it. I think at the minimum we could get some tub grippers.
Mom has agreed to let Hospice come in and help her with things like clipping her toenails, which has become impossible for her to do and I can't do when I live 1000 miles away. When I suggested yesterday that we let hospice come in and clean once a week - she was mortified. She hates the idea of someone picking up after her. Nancy is back in town, and so I think she will begin to come back up and help in that department.
Pauline invited us over for dinner and Mom said she wants to go.

2 Comments:
At 4:17 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Ruth Ann - Please make Karen go out and buy you a non-slip mat for your bathtub. And while she is over at Bed & Bath or whatever they have out there in Utah Malls(I guess maybe more like Water of Life and Eternal Rest Stop or Celestial Mattress Land) have her get you whatever else you need to make your bath great. Like a rubber duckie, some nice bath salts and oils. There is nothing better than a long soak to make me feel better. I highly recommend it. Tell Karen to send us the bill and to not skimp on the rubber duckie.
Love, Kim and Mark J.
At 4:16 PM ,
celia said...
Ruth Ann - Also get a shower chair. They are wonderful. I love to sit there with the water just raining down on me. You can wash, shampoo your hair while sitting and enjoying the water spilling over you. And if you like a sauna-type environment you can get that while sitting on the chair. You can face the water or turn and have it hit your backside. They are great and safe and not just for the elderly!!!
I love you brother-in-law, Mark, and I have only briefly met him once in Salt Lake at Pauline's for Grandpa and Grandma J's anniversary some years ago.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home