Leaving Salt Lake Again
I'm on my way home today. I had a nice visit with Mom and really felt like we got a lot of loose ends taken care of.
Mom had a nice day, starting with a visit from Dick. Dick and Dad started their mission on the same day and spent time together in the mission home in Salt Lake (before there was an MTC) and then were together in the mission office, where Mom was as well.
Mom spent the rest of the day resting. She got up for an hour in the afternoon and then for another hour in the late evening. Nancy was so surprised that at 9pm Mom was awake last night! Mom and I were working together to wrap up some of her Christmas presents and odds and ends that she wanted to take care of before she left.
Mom received a care package from her friends at work, complete with every kind of candy you can imagine. She also got a Poinsettia plant and a new book from her home teachers.
I have had both family and friends offer to help me with miles to come back and forth to help take care of Mom. I'm so grateful for the support.
While going through the Christmas rubbermaids with Mom last night, we found some real treasures. Ornaments, baskets, Santas that she had made. Mom is so talented. She has so many great ideas and projects; it is overwhelming to think about. Mom and Dad went on a trip to Europe with Grandpa J and Pauline at least 20 years ago. Mom has things that she bought on that trip in their original box or even gift bag! You can just picture it; can't you?
Mom had a nice day, starting with a visit from Dick. Dick and Dad started their mission on the same day and spent time together in the mission home in Salt Lake (before there was an MTC) and then were together in the mission office, where Mom was as well.
Mom spent the rest of the day resting. She got up for an hour in the afternoon and then for another hour in the late evening. Nancy was so surprised that at 9pm Mom was awake last night! Mom and I were working together to wrap up some of her Christmas presents and odds and ends that she wanted to take care of before she left.
Mom received a care package from her friends at work, complete with every kind of candy you can imagine. She also got a Poinsettia plant and a new book from her home teachers.
I have had both family and friends offer to help me with miles to come back and forth to help take care of Mom. I'm so grateful for the support.
While going through the Christmas rubbermaids with Mom last night, we found some real treasures. Ornaments, baskets, Santas that she had made. Mom is so talented. She has so many great ideas and projects; it is overwhelming to think about. Mom and Dad went on a trip to Europe with Grandpa J and Pauline at least 20 years ago. Mom has things that she bought on that trip in their original box or even gift bag! You can just picture it; can't you?

2 Comments:
At 3:48 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Ruth Ann
I have very few memories of Ruth Ann until she was a teenager. We visited their home in Midland, Texas when she was most likely in her early teens. She was a vivacious little livewire with a smile that never quit. It seems she was into every activity, especially athletics and gymnastics. I never saw her when she wasn’t on the move.
We were very lucky to have her come stay with us between quarters or semesters at BYU. She left our lives for the better after each visit. She had been to school in Hawaii, I think, as she taught the family how to play with the poi balls. The children felt like she was an exotic queen; they had never had such on-hand entertainment! When it was time to take her to enroll at BYU, we let the older ones go with us, hoping for exposure to education.
Ruth Ann was not pretentious, but was gifted with the spirit of optimism and enthusiasm. We ALL loved it when she was with us as she infused the whole family with a joyful, sweet spirit.
We were blessed to have her with us off and on until she was married. What a blow to Tommy, Connie and Shauna. After the wedding affair and celebration was over and Ruth Ann and Earl were gone, the girls cried like their hearts would break, both of them saying, “I know we will never see Ruth Ann again!” They were almost right. Every family needs a Ruth Ann. We all adored her and looked forward to seeing her at future gatherings.
The last time Verle and I were blessed to be with this remarkable, spiritual powerhouse was at an impromptu gathering with Mark, Lorraine, Henry and Betty. She arrived late, as she had been involved in the business of living, but she brought that same unquenchable effervescence with her.
No wonder we petition the Lord for comfort and peace for our sweet Ruth Ann. It is obvious from her “blog” that she has a real following; we know we are not alone in our adoration.
A loving Aunt Joan
At 4:02 PM ,
Anonymous said...
As I began the task of decorating my tree, I came across a small cloth Christmas basket that Ruth Ann gave me. When we first moved to Houston in 1979, we were called to help with the Ward Christmas party and Ruth Ann made these cute cloth baskets. They were filled with christmas balls, and pine cones. At the end of the affair, she gave me one. I still have it and will treasure it always as a reminder of the wonderful person that Ruth Ann is. When Ruth Ann left Houston to move to Chicago, I found it very difficult not having her around. That was an interesting time helping her pack. She was determined to take everything with her. Earl had to rent a second truck because there was no way she wasn't taking her boxes that were in the attic with her. Ruth Ann you have always been such a great strength to me. I can look at the things that you showed me how to make. I still have them. Thank you so much for being such a big part of my live. With great love and appreciation. Lupe
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home