Eating Good, not Healthy, but Good
Mom has been eating really well - thanks to the steroids. No vegetables or anything too healthy but.... Yesterday, she had chocolate milk, chocolate covered pretzels and chocolate m&ms. Today, she had McDonalds pancakes and a jamba juice for breakfast. She also had a big sandwich, peppermint hot chocolate and half baked potato loaded. Needless to say, she is eating well.
Mom had her first gift of hospice today - Delivered and Free medication. That was nice!
Mom and I went and received massages today from a day spa here in the avenues (Thank you Brent and Jill). It was really nice. I was a little irritated at another guest in the waiting area. Mom had just left to go with her therapist and I was waiting for mine. This woman asked me if Mom had been going through chemo; I said no, that she had had radiation treatments. She went on to ask me all kinds of questions, like what type of cancer Mom had and what stage. Then she proceeded to tell me how her friend had lung cancer (small cell and Mom has non small cell) and was given 6 months to live and two years later, she is doing great. I just was thinking to myself "Does this lady really think I want to be hearing this right now, when I am doing all I can to hold back my tears as I tell her that my Mother is dying and is in pain?". Anyway, the therapist came into the room and "interrupted" our conversation - thank goodness. I was able to put this behind me and enjoy my massage. I know that people want to relate and be helpful by sharing their experience, but for the record, I myself don't care what other people's experiences are - I'm having a hard enough time with my own without knowing what someone else went through or is going through.
Mom and I worked a bit on the Everett Journal - I hope to have it ready to be printed tomorrow and mailed on Friday. We have spent almost an hour looking for the papers that Judy brought to Mom about the upcoming family reunion and about her family this past year. I suggested that we just call Judy and ask her to email us the documents but Mom didn't want to do that..... so, if someone just wanted to get in touch with Judy and get them to me ASAP, I wouldn't mind.
Celia called today and won't be able to come and visit - she is sooo very sick. Mom also got a call today from Leonara - her supervisor at the Temple department. She is coming over for a brief visit tomorrow. Mom says that she definately wants to be dressed and look nice for the visit - when she came over for a visit last time, Mom was in her nightgown.
Mom also got a call today from her cousin Wayne Wolff. She was touched by the thoughtfulness of his call. Tonight, a member of her bishopric from Provo called to check on her. He acted like he didn't know until tonight that she was sick. He also asked her where she had been serving her mission. So weird that she could be serving a mission from that ward and he be in the bishopric and not know where she had been serving and that she has been sick for the past few months. He also told her that she sounded so good, he would like for her to come down to Provo and speak in church. Luckily, Mom talked herself out of that one! Crazy!
Yesterday, Mom got a call from Paul Michael and Sharon and from Uncle Mark.
Mom went to bed at 6pm last night. The phone continues to ring late at night and she continues to feel like she needs to answer it. We have at least moved her cell phone charger to right by her bed so she doesn't have to get up to answer. But the house phone (which most people don't call) is in her living area and is hard for her to get to, if she is sleeping.
Tomorrow, if I can talk Mom into it, we might go up to Park City for Carter's birthday and then go to Brent's to make Christmas fudge with Berlin - I'm hoping Mom will come and help, even if she is just sitting on the couch directing us from afar.
Mom had her first gift of hospice today - Delivered and Free medication. That was nice!
Mom and I went and received massages today from a day spa here in the avenues (Thank you Brent and Jill). It was really nice. I was a little irritated at another guest in the waiting area. Mom had just left to go with her therapist and I was waiting for mine. This woman asked me if Mom had been going through chemo; I said no, that she had had radiation treatments. She went on to ask me all kinds of questions, like what type of cancer Mom had and what stage. Then she proceeded to tell me how her friend had lung cancer (small cell and Mom has non small cell) and was given 6 months to live and two years later, she is doing great. I just was thinking to myself "Does this lady really think I want to be hearing this right now, when I am doing all I can to hold back my tears as I tell her that my Mother is dying and is in pain?". Anyway, the therapist came into the room and "interrupted" our conversation - thank goodness. I was able to put this behind me and enjoy my massage. I know that people want to relate and be helpful by sharing their experience, but for the record, I myself don't care what other people's experiences are - I'm having a hard enough time with my own without knowing what someone else went through or is going through.
Mom and I worked a bit on the Everett Journal - I hope to have it ready to be printed tomorrow and mailed on Friday. We have spent almost an hour looking for the papers that Judy brought to Mom about the upcoming family reunion and about her family this past year. I suggested that we just call Judy and ask her to email us the documents but Mom didn't want to do that..... so, if someone just wanted to get in touch with Judy and get them to me ASAP, I wouldn't mind.
Celia called today and won't be able to come and visit - she is sooo very sick. Mom also got a call today from Leonara - her supervisor at the Temple department. She is coming over for a brief visit tomorrow. Mom says that she definately wants to be dressed and look nice for the visit - when she came over for a visit last time, Mom was in her nightgown.
Mom also got a call today from her cousin Wayne Wolff. She was touched by the thoughtfulness of his call. Tonight, a member of her bishopric from Provo called to check on her. He acted like he didn't know until tonight that she was sick. He also asked her where she had been serving her mission. So weird that she could be serving a mission from that ward and he be in the bishopric and not know where she had been serving and that she has been sick for the past few months. He also told her that she sounded so good, he would like for her to come down to Provo and speak in church. Luckily, Mom talked herself out of that one! Crazy!
Yesterday, Mom got a call from Paul Michael and Sharon and from Uncle Mark.
Mom went to bed at 6pm last night. The phone continues to ring late at night and she continues to feel like she needs to answer it. We have at least moved her cell phone charger to right by her bed so she doesn't have to get up to answer. But the house phone (which most people don't call) is in her living area and is hard for her to get to, if she is sleeping.
Tomorrow, if I can talk Mom into it, we might go up to Park City for Carter's birthday and then go to Brent's to make Christmas fudge with Berlin - I'm hoping Mom will come and help, even if she is just sitting on the couch directing us from afar.

1 Comments:
At 12:11 AM ,
celia said...
I think I now know the secret to posting on this blog - hurray for me !!!!! I love your diet !!! Remember when we would sit at your desk and eat those chocolate candies that came from Marshall Fields - Frango's or something like that. As you can see from thetime ofthis posting - I can't sleep - or better yet - my nose is so stuffed that when I lay down I can't breathe so I spend time at the computer. Dore' and I just finished instant messaging for about an hour. Now I must go to sleep - but let me tell you another yummy necessary food substance - peppermint bark - the kind that has a layer of chocolate and then a layer of white chocolate with crushed peppermint candies. Yummy, yum !! See you as soon as I get over this bad cold.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home